In March of 2020 Mission Valley Has Talent auditions were complete and with 14 finalists selected. On the night of March 12 all finalists rehearsed and were ready for the next night’s talent show. During the night word spread that gatherings everywhere were canceling because of COVID-19. We cancelled.
We waited for the right time and place to finish the talent show. We looked to the fall of 2021, but again there were virus concerns.
REMINDER: 2020 was the third year that the talent show was organized to raise funds for Helping Hands. At the time when the public retreated to a place of safety Helping Hands hit the ground running to respond to urgent needs as requests sky rocketed. The 2020 yearend report from the Helping Hands Executive Director, Jennifer, gives a snapshot of the importance of helping hands during last year.
We were able to maintain a healthy helping hand for folks in need in Lake County by organizing a long list of volunteers and groups, connecting and referring to other institutions and agencies. With the office following safe pandemic protocol
we worked to continue providing assistance. Before the Pandemic hit Helping Hands served an average of 200 folks each month. HH is now serving that number in one week.
Helping Hands list of actions:
• Baby Box Program, now the Community Cradle donates a baby box and baby
supplies to new mothers and guardians in the county.
• Back-to-School project fills and distributes backpacks throughout the county to
students returning to school.
• Since the pandemic hit requests have increased for gas, utilities, personal care
• Help provide food and volunteers for Thanksgiving Dinner meal distribution in
Polson and Ronan.
• Organizes the Salvation Army Bell Ringing in the county.
• Partners with Share the Spirit to support Christmas projects.
• “Shop & Drop” Covid relief project that continues today.
Expenses incurred for the 2020 MVHT event were paid, thanks to our sponsors. Helping Hands has been able to continue providing assistance with the financial help from donations and grants.
MVHT thanks our sponsors, contestants, judges, donors and committee and event volunteers.
We have decided to end future talent shows and hope to organize a spring music festival as a fundraiser for Helping Hands. Stay tuned for more information about the festival.
Mission Valley Has Talent Committee